Saturday, January 22, 2011

An afternoon well spent

Since I couldn;t go to see my sweet Quinn today (I have the sniffles), and we've had enough health scares with her this winter, I made good use of my time:
I actually reached the bed and look what I found!  Still tons of stuff to sort, but learned some valuable lessons:
1)  I will NEVER buy those huge storage bags again.  I went through and emptied SEVEN of them.  I now have a give away bag started with one of them, a bag full of trims, a bag of yarn and two containers of sorted fabrics (by color).  I love to sew dolls, and have a mountain of supplies.  It used to be three mountains, but, I gave away two thirds of it last year.  Now, sigh, will have to go through the current mountain and keep only what I will really use and love.
2) Although my bed was a great place to sort and fold, and it was convenient, I have to remember to leave enough time to put away stuff next time.
3) The way I've gained control in the rest of the house was in little steps, sometimes only a few minutes at a time, and maintaining what I gained.  So, I vacuumed downstairs today, did laundry, and ran errands before tacking my new project.  I'm not talking hours of cleaning - just the daily picking up and touching up that I've learned from FlyLady.  So, I will try to do a few minutes every day.
4)  If I stick it in a bag, basket, drawer out of sight, I forget I own it (or haven't a clue where it is).  Then I begin layers of piles on surfaces.  Got to work on that every day, and with the door shut, this room became a huge HIDING spot for HOMELESS ITEMS!
5) I can't create a new area where stuff is piled, while sorting the old stuff in the old place.  It finds a home or it LEAVES.
Never fear, as this is what waits on the other side of the door:
It will take many days of sorting.  That's why it is a Mission.

No comments: