Sunday, January 23, 2011

Continuing on with the mission and soring things out for myself in a dream

Well, today emptied two more of those giant plastic bags (they are banned from my use forever).  I now have separated and sorted everything I removed from the future playroom, yesterday.  Everything either has a home already, or has been assigned a home location.  Nothing has been left homeless except for a small wicker basket of odds and ends that is amazingly small, considering what I started with.  In the process of assigning homes, I cleaned out my huge steamer trunk, which I use for sewing stuff (it has drawers and looks so cool) and reconfigured what I was keeping in it.  MUST REMEMBER: Do NOT over fill drawers.  Put only what belongs in each drawer, there.
One of the joys I've discovered this last year, is actually using the stuff I collected to benefit my home, not just let it take up room.  I lovingly refinished this old steamer trunk over a long hot summer.  Now, instead of just looking really cool, it serves a purpose.






I also have some little vintage dresses hanging on the old wooden hangers that came with it.
Feeling quite pleased with myself, today.
Last night I had a dream that although wasn't factual, was scarey real in terms of my subconscious sorting out why I hold onto stuff the way I do.  The people in the dream followed behavior patterns I had pushed deep in my memory, because they were ways I had been really treated, in the past.  I woke up anxious, until I realized that the life I live is vastly different than back in those days, and that it is up to me, what I keep, what I let go of.  No one else makes those kind of choices for me, at this time in my life.  What a difference that self reassurance made in my approach today.  It wasn't about how much stuff I could get rid of, but, rather how I felt about keeping it, what I was keeping it for.  One rule:  everything has to have a home.  The purpose can be as simple as the little vintage dresses, quilt, vintage gloves (they are beautifully beaded), shoe button hook - the purpose they serve, is the way I feel when I look at them.  These are things I gathered over the years because I enjoy their history, their texture and the pleasure they give me.  They have a home, I like them, I want them, so they stay.  Wish all things were that simple!

No comments: