Friday, February 6, 2009

This Winter Week

As winter weeks go, this one was too cold, too stressful and thankfully is over (at least the work week part). Tonight I'll stay warm with my husband, watch some TV and eat pizza.
Tomorrow between loads of laundry, vacuuming, etc. I want to work on my Becky/Rivkah doll. Her chubby arms and legs are sweet, the body is sewn............
Today I was thanked by someone for explaining her mother's medical condition to her. It wasn't happy knowledge for her, but, she found it reassuring to know what kinds of changes to expect, over the next few weeks. I'm not saying she thanked me politely after the explanation. Rather, a couple hours later, she tracked me down to my office, to personally thank me for helping her understand, for taking the time to help her understand. It's something I've done with other family members over the years, but, it never fails to remind me why I go to work every day, when I actually make a difference for someone. I guess we all need to remember to thank people for the extra time and effort they take. I know it warmed me, in my heart, where it really counts. I don't expect more than the occasional polite thanks. Almost always, it is a stressful time, financially, emotionally for the people looking for answers - and a little kindness. I still have the thank you notes I received when I worked hospice. They remind me that educating, explaining, explaining over again, is part of what I'm needed for. Sure, the other things I do are important, and necessary, or they wouldn't pay me to do my job. But, the other is what keeps me in nursing - the people part.
Well, that was the philosophical tangent for today!
Wish me luck, tomorrow as I attach those chubby little doll legs to the body, using a technique I've never tried!
TTFN

No comments: